Saturday, September 6, 2008

Trollbabe: experiments with shading

So now that I've finished sketching, it's time to turn these Trollbabes into finished pieces. Here's the sketch I decided to work on first, plus a bit of added background. Before doing anything else, I just "inked" the drawing using Photoshop.


I don't think my lineart is intricate or interesting enough to stand on its own merits, so it's going to need shading of some sort. Now, it's been a long time since I've done any truly two-color work; I much prefer the ease of greyscale. So I'm going to experiment with shading using different kinds of brushtrokes and/or hatching to see if I can come up with something that I like.

I decided to start with shading the faces and see what happened. Preliminarily, I'm going to say that I like the results - but I'm not committed to finishing the whole image. I'll keep going and hopefully I'll like it enough to finish.

Anyhow, here's the results of this evening's tomfoolery.


Stay tuned for more trollbabes yet to come! Same Trollbabe time, same Trollbabe channel!

No comments: