Sunday, November 15, 2009

Fog excursion

Last night, I went to go take out the trash and I stumbled into a wonderland of fog. It was so amazing I went inside, grabbed my camera, and told my husband that we were going for a walk, despite that it was after 1am on a Saturday evening.

Now, fog is very challenging to shoot in - especially at night. You can't see very much detail through the viewfinder, so you have to use your knowledge of what is there to mentally compose shots in the viewfinder with the elements you can see. You also have no idea if your camera is interpreting the light levels correctly. And there's always the risk that the camera isn't going to pick up all the detail that you can see so clearly. Plus I was pretty tired, so I didn't want to mess with the tripod.

I got lucky last night, though. A lot of shots turned out, even though many others didn't. I'd definitely like to do something with some of these, but I'll have to de-grain them first.

All in all, I got some great stuff. Take a look:



I love the sweep of the headlights here.



I totally expected zombies to attack us at any time. Totally.



You can't see it, but we were very near the highway, so there were these monstrous tall lights to light the highway. Kit and I kept joking about lights in the sky, since you couldn't even see the poles. So I got him to pose for a silly shot of him being "abducted".



Again, the tall lights are the lights next to the highway.



We kept joking that the rendering servers had crashed.







My photography instructors always said that the key to good night photography is to capture different kinds of light sources to get different color shifts. It's funny how lights that look white or yellow at night shift so radically "on film".



Spooky!



This picture took so long to take I had totally dismissed it as lost. I was delighted that it came out.



On Facebook, a friend left the comment that this photo made him feel like he was playing Left4Dead. I found that amusing.



Willows + fog = awesome.



Kit liked posing in the fog.



Coming back, the street outside our house.

1 comment:

lucy said...

so beautiful!! I love it when u say: u're waiting for zombies.They r perfect.